An Interview with Ray Radio DJ Aisha Nabi


How did it all start for you?
From an early age, presenting has always been a real passion for me. Since about the age of seven, I used to record 'shows'  on cassettes, recording music from radio stations such as Radio 1 and “Kiss 100” whilst talking over them and pretending to interview guests. There are still a few of those old cassettes lying around and I’m definitely not bringing them out anytime soon as it’s so embarrassing (haha!).  My story with Ray started in January 2018, I left my job in London working for a think tank writing articles and  undertaking research; but  I wanted to pursue my dreams of becoming a presenter.  I had a phone call with my friend who works in the media for advice and the steps I should take. He told me to gain experience through local radio stations. As soon as I put the phone down I went on Instagram and got a random follow from a really new account called “Listen 2 Ray”, it was really empty at this point- so no content/ pictures etc. But I saw it was a local radio station based in Southend. (I kept thinking at the time how surreal It was given that I had just ended a conversation with a friend about seeking experience in that specific field, I saw it as a good sign!). I sent the page a direct message and it turns out it was Josh who was running the social media account and is someone I knew and collaborated with in the past (I’ve modelled for Josh a few times as he’s a photographer). I still think to this day that it was a blessing in disguise and kind of like a good omen, no matter how surreal! So I started practicing to present using the equipment at the very first studio which was based in Sam’s mum’s flat and also helped co-manage the station with both Josh and Sam and seen it grow and flourish over time... and here we are now!


Who’s your biggest inspiration? Who do you have a lot of respect for? My biggest inspiration in life is, and always has been my dad, Ejaz. He’s helped both me and Sam throughout the Ray journey giving endless practical advice and guidance, which I’ll always be grateful for! As soppy as this sounds he really is my best friend, my rock and my guardian Angel. I can always rely on him to make me see things in perspective whenever I struggle to find clarity, make me smile and most importantly his endless love to help make me see the light again whenever I’m feeling down! I love him so much and I’m proud of everything he’s achieved. I feel so lucky to have him as a father. But as for inspiration in show business and media etc., it would have to be Audrey Hepburn (she’s my ultimate idol) not only because of her impeccable style, grace and beauty but also she was a wonderful human being.  She was a true humanitarian and strived for others,  despite her royal ancestry she was always humble, she worked hard and valued others who did likewise, She possessed a child like optimism (which I’ve been told by many I also possess), she rejected societal norms on what constitutes ‘beauty’, and finally she was unapologetically herself and refused to be defined by others. I wish I could be half the woman she was.

What single night out has been the most memorable for you? As a DJ? As an attendee? I think the most memorable night out in Southend has to be when the man, the myth, the legend that is Snoop Dogg visited Southend in May 2015 and performed his “DJ Snoopadelic tour” DJ set at Talk nightclub, and it was the most packed night I’ve ever experienced in a club here in Southend and was a lot of fun!

What is the one mistake you see a lot of up and coming DJs making? / What advice would you give to aspiring DJs? 
I think a big trap a lot of DJs fall into is to pretend to be someone else, especially another successful presenter. It’s easy to see how it can happen and to a large extent it is understandable. But to “lose a sense of self” and authenticity, is to deny your own originality and learning to innovate from feedback about your own shows.  Thats not to say there aren't some great presenters out there. So you should always have respect for their work, but ALWAYS be yourself, don’t follow the “status quo”. If you have a weird or quirky side, let it shine! Try out your weird and wacky ideas,  but always be humble enough to realise that what you think is great may not be shared by others. This industry can be quite ruthless but “treat others how you wish to be treated yourself”- that’s my mantra.


What would you be doing right now, if you wasn’t a DJ?                                                        
I know I’d still continue to model and do photoshoots as it’s something I still currently do now and really enjoy it! But I guess I’d also take up the other time with journalism and creative writing through other avenues as I already write for an online fashion and lifestyle blog called “The Vanity Edition”. I also love to paint and draw too!

What changes have you seen since being a DJ? Good and bad? The great thing is that I have met so many interesting people and it has introduced me to a colourful variety of different events/shows from all sorts of spheres. I have had some really wonderful and talented guests on my show who are truly inspiring. On the down side sadly I think this industry can sometimes  bring out the selfish and ungenerous side to some people. There is a herd mentality which can be quite intimidating. But the positives make everything worthwhile.


Where do you think the scene is headed? One year from now? Five years from now?  I think it’s growing exponentially in a positive way and we are continuing to appreciate niche varieties and styles of music from all sorts of backgrounds: geographic, ethnic influences and style genres. More music is being heard and played  now thanks to the power of the internet!


If you could be eternally stuck in one years music scene, which year would it be?  Ooh that’s a good one! It's a tough question as my music taste is very eclectic and broad. I think there was so much great music from the 70s and 80s which still seems timeless today. People like Bowie, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Debbie Harry, Eurythmics and Queen were important artists that still have great relevance. 
How do you feel the Internet has impacted the music business? I think it’s impacted it a lot and really has pushed music out there on so many different platforms. Music is so much more easily accessible now... because of it, it’s made discovering new niche music from different countries and genres a lot easier too! I’ve found so many gems through the power of the internet! One app I love to use whenever I’m out and about is “Shazam”, it  listens out to background music anywhere and tells you who the artist is etc. It’s such a handy tool to have whenever you are going places, or if you have a tune stuck in your head and can’t remember the artist (thank you internet!). 

What do you love about the scene and what do you hate about the scene? I love the variety of music and how easily it's accessible. Hate is a strong word, but industry leaders could facilitate more female and BAME talent

If you could change anything about the industry what would it be? More women of colour and more powerful, influential role models.

What’s next for you? World domination! (Just kidding! Haha) 

But I have a few fab photoshoots lined up one of which is for an ethical and sustainable clothing company - so conscious about the environment and Mother Earth! I’ll also be writing some more fashion and beauty/lifestyle online blog articles for “The Vanity Edition”, which I’m excited to start doing more of again.   

And I have a few fab shows lined up both on my “Mixtapes” show and “Frequencies with Aisha” show, so keep your eyes and ears peeled! 

Any message for your fans? I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone who’s supported me throughout this journey and to those who’ve tuned in and listened. A big thanks to all the musicians who have sent their submissions over to me making my shows interesting and musically diverse! You guys have been amazing and I couldn’t have done it or continued without your love and support! So thank you! 
Aisha's Social Links
Instagram: @aisha.uk 
E:mail: Aishapresents@hotmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/aisha.n.nabi


Comments

Post a Comment