An Interview with Ray Radio DJ Alyx Holcombe



How did it all start for you? I’ve always been into music from a young age, my first memory was probably dancing around to Fine Young Cannibals with my dad when I was about 4. Growing up, I was always the weird theatre and music kid that hung around in the music rooms at lunch. When I left school I decided to study Musical Theatre until I was 18. I loved theatre but I felt like I was missing something, I then focused on my bass. At 20, I joined Petty Phase and the rest is history! I’ve always had a love for discovering bands that I haven’t heard before.I remember watching artists and being like ‘OMG you’re great people need to hear you’.Then RAY came along, and now here we are!

Who is your biggest inspiration? / Who do you have a lot of respect for? I have a lot of respect for people that have grafted to get to where they want to be. MASSIVE respect in fact. I think that goes outside of presenting and music too. I don’t think I could pin point one person as an inspiration. I think musically I admire Henrik Linder from Dirty Loops as a bassist. He is incredible. Like mind blowingly talented.

What single night out has been the most memorable for you? As a DJ? As an attendee? I recently went to the Periphery : Hail Stan tour. O M G Amazing! Matt Halpern is my favourite drummer so I fan girled (hard!). And I got a signed drum skin which is now proudly displayed in my front room.


Are you able to share any of your secret tricks with me? As in like party trick? I used to be able to burp the alphabet backwards after a bev. (I’m single lads) 

What is the one mistake you see a lot of up and coming DJs making? / What advice would you give to aspiring DJs? I see a lot of people trying to be like someone else, copying other presenter’s formats and links etc. It won’t get you anywhere. Aspire to be like those people, but if you’re doing something that’s already been done, you will not stand out. And ultimately, this is NOT who you are! Do not be afraid to put yourself out there. Be BOLD and take risks. Sometimes they’ll pay off and other times they won’t. But you need to expect this in the industry. You need tough skin.

Where do you think the scene is headed? One year from now? Five years from now?
I think the scene is going from strength to strength. There are so many incredible artists with so much flair and are creating whatever they want to create and not sticking to any ‘rules’.  So many artists are now doing the DIY approach as they want 100% input because they believe in what they are doing. I’m here for that!


If you could be eternally be stuck in one years music scene, which year would it be? I tell you what my music taste is all over the place so this one is hard! I would’ve obviously loved to have been around mid 70’s with the Sex Pistols to see the rise of punk. But then being in LA with Motley Crue in the 80’s would’ve been an experience. Then on the flip side, I’m a massive Michael Jackson fan. But then how cool would it be to go to the future and see what the scene develops into? Probably the hardest question I’ve been asked haha!

What is it you love about the scene? The punk scene is incredible. The main thing I have noticed about the scene is the support the bands show each other. It is SO important in an age where social media is so vital for band growth to support each other. The more you make connections and share eachothers content, the bigger fan base you’re going to reach. Simples!
What’s next for you?  I’ve got a few things lined up that I’m UBER excited about! They’re all under wraps at the moment  though. Watch this space!

Any message for your fans? THANK YOU! From the bottom of my heart thank you so much. It’s still so strange that people want to listen to my Essex accent shouting in your ears every Sunday. To everyone who has supported me and listened in, I appreciate you more than you’ll know!

Alyx Holcombe Social Links
Website: www.alyxholcombe.co.uk 
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ALYXPLAYSPUNK
Twitter: @alyxholcombe 
Instagram: @alyxholcombe 



                                                                    

Comments