An interview with Fran / BLAB





Where did it all start?


I started playing guitar and making demos in my bedroom when I was 16 but I've always written lyrics and played instruments. I've had a few versions of the BLAB line-up in terms of band members, but really it's always just been me messing about writing loads of different parts and recording them at its core. 

How would you describe your music?


This is a hard one! I have so many influences and I feel like they all weave together to form this eclectic mix. I'd say my music is like if Johnny Marr, Mike Skinner and Josh Homme got in a room together and made music. 

Who would you most like to collaborate with?

Either Mike Skinner or Kenny Beats. I really love the idea of weaving my music into a different world sonically. I think it's really good to come away from your comfort zone to generate something that's fresh and exciting to work on. 

If you could open a show from any artist who would it be?


I think it would have to be Courtney Barnett. She's one of my all time favourite artists and I managed to see her live last year. I literally cried, she was amazing live.

Where have you performed? What are your favourite and least favourite venues?


I really love The Railway Hotel in Southend as it's one of the first venues I remember playing. The first official BLAB gig I played with my live band was supporting RATBOY at Cambridge Junction. I was only about 17 and I was just super stoked to be able to play in a venue that big. It was such a great atmosphere and something I feel really lucky to have done. My least favourite venue is probably the Scala in London. I remember going to a gig there when I was underage and I'd written an "8" over the "9" in 1999 (the year I was born) on my driving licence to make it look like I was 18 so I could buy booze. Rightfully, they gave me a telling off and weren't having any of it! That was a while ago and I've only been once since.  All the venues I've played I've loved though. 

How do you feel the internet as impacted the music business?


I think in terms of releasing music it's made people more impulsive, which is both a good and a bad thing. As a fan you get more music from your favourite artists but as an artist there's this expectation to release loads of music in a really short space of time. I think it's great that we can create and seek out communities of like minded people and make shit happen from an activist's point of view, but I do feel like people can get caught up in their own feedback loop of what they want to see and hear. That being said, I think that people in general are more open and less rigid in their music taste which I think is a result of social media. I'm excited to see how TikTok stands the test of time and what will be the next thing that has that kind of colossal impact on the industry. 

What are your favourite songs to perform?


'R.I.P' has been part of my setlist for nearly two years now, I love performing that live. Especially watching people's first reactions to it in real time. That's the most exciting thing about playing songs like that. I'm big on set dynamics so I love to contrast a song like 'R.I.P' with something more vulnerable and intimate, so I can take people on a journey with it. 

Describe yourself?


How would I describe myself? I'm really opinionated and talkative which is why my artist name is 'BLAB'. I love telling bad jokes and I don't take myself too seriously. 

What is it you love about the scene?


The people 100%. When I get in a room with other musicians I could talk for hours. Everyone wants to help each other make the best music they can. I'm really lucky to know so many awesome musicians.

What’s next for you?


Loads more music! Hopefully some gigs too, I'm excited to play live again when the time is right.


 R.I.P is out now on all major digital platforms! 
Social Links
Facebook: www.facebook.com/BLABMAKESMUSIC
Twitter: www.twitter.com/franblabs
Instagram: @franblabs


Comments